Members of the general public are hereby informed that the funeral service for the late, Philbert Chambers, Sergeant of Police, #209 will take place on Sunday May 17, 2020 at the Barrouallie Recreational Park according to Seventh Day Adventists (SDA) rights. The deceased will be accorded a full military funeral. Viewing of the body will commence at 12:00 pm to be followed by the funeral service at 2:00 pm. The interment will take place at the Glebe Hill Cemetery.
Please be advised that due to the COVID-19 global pandemic and the protocols to be adopted, there will be certain restrictions during the funeral service and procession to the cemetery as follows:
- Only a limited number of persons would be accommodated on the recreational park. This would comprise of the immediate family members of the deceased, the Commissioner of Police and other ranks of the RSVGPF, a representative from the Ministry of National Security, specially invited guests and members of the media. The same would be in effect for the interment ceremony.
- Persons attending the funeral service are strongly advised to adhere to the physical distancing guidelines by staying at least 3 – 6 feet apart at all times; and wear a face mask.
- Viewing of the body would be done in an orderly manner. After the viewing, persons are kindly asked to exit the recreational park and maintain proper physical distancing.
- No vending would be allowed in the immediate vicinity of the funeral service and the place of interment.
- Traffic from Kingstown to Barrouallie
Traffic coming from Kingstown into Barrouallie will turn right at the first gap at Glebe Hill; then turn left into three (3) Acres; make a right turn over the bridge at Reversion; drive across the Old Secondary School and exit at High Road
- Traffic from North Leeward to Kingstown
Traffic from North Leeward into Kingstown will drive the normal route. However, when the funeral procession is on the main road, traffic will wait and drive slowly behind the procession until it reaches the cemetery. Traffic will thereafter proceed to Kingstown in the usual way.
N.B. The portion of road between the first gap at Glebe Hill and the corner at STOP AND SHOP Mini-mart will be coned-off to prevent parking and vending.
Sgt. Chambers was shot and killed on Sunday April 26, 2020, while in the line of duty.