The Forestry Department in the Ministry of Agriculture, Rural Transformation, Forestry, Fisheries and Industry wishes to inform the General Public that hunting season in St. Vincent and the Grenadines has come to a close.
The closed season for Mammals which includes Opossum (Manicou), Agouti and Reptiles including Iguana is February 1st – September 30th.
Therefore, any person engaging in any of the activities listed below is guilty of an offense and liable to prosecution according to the Wildlife Protection Act Chapter 55, Section 17.
- Hunts or is a member of a party engaged in hunting any protected wildlife
- Takes or disturbs the egg, or young of protected wildlife
- Damages or destroys the nest, or young of any protected wildlife
- Has in his/her possession or controls any wildlife or part thereof
- Exposes, offers for sale or purchases any protected wildlife or any part thereof, or the eggs, or young thereof
Persons are to be reminded that it is also an offense to hunt in any Forest Reserve.
Some animals may become vulnerable during the dry season. As they seek food or water, this is no excuse to capture the animal. Protecting our wildlife now ensures that they remain for future generations.